Are you a fan of the Abbott Marshlands and the Tulpehaking Nature Center?
We have developed the Abbott Marshlands Ambassadors Program – a series of informative workshops – for someone just like you! The program runs monthly in 1 hour sessions and is an opportunity for participants to collaborate with others, learn, and ask questions about the marshlands in an informal, interactive environment.
When someone asks what are the Abbott Marshlands, how do you answer ?
- Northernmost freshwater tidal marsh on the Delaware River?
- 3000 acres of preserved open space between Trenton and Bordentown ?
- Home of the Lenape people for 13,000 years ?
- National Historic Landmark District for Archaeology ?
- Audubon Important Birding Area ?
The layered complexity of the Abbott Marshlands makes it a challenging place to understand and to explain to others. As the Friends for the Abbott Marshlands and the Tulpehaking Nature Center continue to work together to interpret the historical and ecological richness of the marshlands, we recognize the need to better share its stories with our volunteers – both to enable them to be more comfortable sharing their own understanding of the marshlands with others and to help them to appreciate the importance of the work they do.
Program is free for all volunteers and prospective volunteers. Our hope is that you:
- complete the full series to become a certified Abbott Marshlands Ambassador
- complete 20 hours of volunteer service in the 12 months following the program.
Interested? Just fill out the form below and we'll be in touch.
The Abbott Marshlands Ambassador Program sessions will include:
- Ecology – What’s the big deal about a tidal freshwater marsh?
- Lenape Homeland – What do we know about the Lenape past in the marshlands?
- More Recent History – Sampling stories connected to the land. Isaac Watson – Joseph Bonaparte – Charles Lucien Bonaparte – Isaac Pearson – Charles Conrad Abbott – White City Amusement Park.
- Ownership Complexity – Where are the trails? Who owns them? How is it all managed?
- Interpretation – Tips for interpreting the marsh to the public.
- Guided Walk(s) – Visit landmarks and share talking points
A series of monthly programs will be offered in the Tulpehaking Nature Center. Any volunteer who completes all programs will be certified as an Abbott Marshlands Ambassador.
In person attendance is suggested to benefit from the ability to ask questions and to interact with the Friends and the Nature Center personnel. Sessions will be recorded so that it will be possible to complete the program or parts of it from home.